Despite our best efforts, not everyone likes going to the dentist. In fact, some people are downright anxious about it. If that describes you, Dr. John C. Workman and our Glen Ellyn, IL dental team want to help you overcome your dental anxiety so you can:
Dr. Workman on relieving dental anxiety Read Transcript
I’ve been told by many patients that just my voice alone makes them feel comfortable. A lot of anxiety is caused by people who they just don’t know what’s going to be happening. I think that we’re able to help them understand, let them know what’s going on as we’re doing the work. When a patient has a trusting relationship with you as a doctor, as a dentist, they tend to calm down a little bit. And that they know your staff is competent and cares about them and is trying to do everything they can to make them comfortable—you know we provide pillows, blankets, we provide music, if you want it. We’ve got sunglasses that really are soothing to the eye and makes them calm. We also will give them, if they’re really, really anxious, we might give them some anti-anxiety-type pills that they can take to make them more comfortable for the procedure.
Before we start any procedure, we always review with the patient what’s going to be happening and make sure that they’re totally comfortable and what they can expect. We also make sure that they know that we give excellent shots and a lot of people are very anxious about that. Most people don’t even feel the shot when we give it to them and that’s been the history of our office for many, many years and patients. I think it’s the reason why they come back is they’re totally comfortable with what we do, the procedures that we do in the office,and we love providing that kind of care, so it’s comfortable for them.
- Get regular dental exams and other care that keeps your mouth healthy
- Treat dental problems in their earliest stages so they are less complicated and costly to fix
- Correct features of your smile you aren’t happy with
Your anxiety will fade away, thanks to our caring and nonjudgmental staff, patient-friendly technology, and amenities like blankets and headphones. If you’re still nervous about dental procedures, you can get sedation!
For an anxiety-free experience at the dentist, call 630-448-8418.
Our Amenities & Individualized Care Will Relax You
Our staff customizes your care to give you the highest level of dental health you desire. Similarly, we’ll create a custom experience to ease your anxiety using amenities like:
- Cozy blankets
- Headphones so you can enjoy music while we work
- Longer appointment times so we can take it slow
While you’re in our Glen Ellyn, IL office, you can enjoy bottled water, tea, or coffee. And catch up on work or entertain yourself with YouTube or other online diversions, thanks to our free Wi-Fi access.
Patient-Friendly Technology & Sedation Take Anxiety Out of Treatment
Our patient-friendly technology minimizes discomfort as well as sensations and sounds that some people find unpleasant. Our technology includes:
- STA Single Tooth Anesthesia System® that helps us administer anesthesia more effectively and maintain the optimal amount of anesthesia throughout procedures
- Digital X-rays that don’t require us to put bulky paper in your mouth while we take images
- Intraoral cameras that help us look into hard-to-reach areas of your mouth with less poking and prodding
- Hard-tissue laser that uses a laser and water instead of a drill for many dental procedures
If you’re still nervous, you can get dental sedation. Unlike many dentists, we offer two different types.