When do you need to see a dentist? The answer may not always be straightforward. With a Glen Ellyn, IL dentist who offers comprehensive dentistry, there are so many more reasons to visit the dentist than just checkups and emergencies.
Take a look below at just a few of the reasons patients have come from all over the area to visit John C. Workman, DDS Dental Artistry. If any of these apply to you or if you have another concern you think we could help address, give us a call at 630-448-8418.
I’m not happy with the flaws in my smile.
There’s no shame in asking us what we can do about any imperfections in your smile. We’ll bet we have solutions for them, even for the slightest bothersome flaws. We can:
- Whiten your teeth with professional teeth whitening, dental bonding, or dental veneers
- Fix chips, cracks, and breaks with porcelain crowns, veneers, or bonding
- Conceal gaps, misshapen teeth, and short or worn teeth with veneers or bonding
- Improve your tooth-to-gum ratio or even out your gums with laser gum reshaping or gummy smile treatment
- Improve the look of jagged, pointy, or too-long teeth with tooth contouring
- Straighten teeth and fix bites (overbites, underbites, gapped smiles, etc.) with Invisalign
- Improve the height of your gums with gum recession treatment
Is there anything you didn’t see here that you want improved? It’s likely that a skilled, artistically minded dentist like Dr. Workman can help. If you have any reservations about getting cosmetic dentistry, like …
… your age
… thinking it’s vain
… not seeing how it could improve your life
… wondering whether results will look natural
… thinking your case is hopeless
… then let us reassure you that we have helped people with all these concerns, and they now have proud smiles.
I’m having oral pain.
We’re sure this reason to see a dentist is obvious to you. But some people hold off because they hope the pain will go away or because they have dental anxiety. Regarding the pain, most of the time, dental pain indicates a problem that needs to be addressed as soon as possible. It’s rare that the pain will resolve itself. Plus, the sooner you come in, the easier, less expensive, and less time-consuming your treatment may be – not to mention you’re saving further smile problems and pain down the road.
Regarding the anxiety, please understand that Dr. Workman and our team do everything we can to make visiting the dentist pleasant. We’ve had patients who have stayed away from the dentist for years because of fear and after coming to us, have been able to show up to every checkup. Some even enjoy coming to the dentist!
At our Glen Ellyn, IL office, you’ll find:
- A team that makes sure the work is done right the first time – and looks natural
- A comfortable, welcoming, nonjudgmental atmosphere
- Technology like digital X-rays, lasers, and intraoral cameras to make care more comfortable, quicker, and more accurate
- Carefully applied topical and local anesthesia to minimize pain with our state-of-the art Single Tooth Anesthesia System®
- Conscious sedation and IV sedation to let you relax completely
- Bottled water, tea, and coffee
- Internet access
- Music, headphones, blankets, and pillows to keep you comfortable during treatment
- Longer appointments if you need a little more time to take things at your pace
My gums are bleeding.
If your gums are bleeding after you brush or floss your teeth, it’s time to call Dr. Workman. That’s because bleeding gums are a sign of gum disease. In its later stages, gum disease can cause tooth loss and has even been linked to systemic health conditions like diabetes and heart disease. But there are other signs before then that you’ll want to get expert care for:
- Tender or swollen gums
- Loose teeth
- Receding gums
- Bad breath
- Pain when eating
- Pockets in your gums where bacteria thrives
We examine your gums for any signs of infection at each checkup. You can feel confident knowing you’re in good hands here. If you do have gum disease already, we have modern techniques to treat and manage it so that it doesn’t progress.
I need a dental checkup.
We’re constantly told that our dental checkups are the most thorough our patients have ever had! We take a total health approach to your oral health, so you can expect:
- Thorough cleanings and polishing to ensure teeth and gums are clean and smooth
- Diagnostic X-rays and examination with an intraoral camera
- Exam by Dr. Workman to check for even the slightest signs of gum disease, oral cancer, and cavities with a cavity detector
- Extra preventive treatments like fluoride and sealants, which can save your teeth from decay
- Help for bad breath and dry mouth, if needed
- The opportunity to ask any questions, from brushing techniques to nutritional help to smile enhancement treatments
We recommend coming in twice a year to keep your mouth problem-free and healthy. But if it’s been years since your last cleaning, we still welcome you to visit. You won’t be made to feel guilty here!
My jaw hurts.
You might not have thought to ask a dentist about jaw pain. With Dr. Workman’s training, however, he can offer a diagnosis and treatment for conditions like bruxism (chronic tooth grinding and clenching) and TMJ disorder, a sometimes painful but manageable jaw condition.
Call us today for a consultation. You don’t have to live with the pain. Along with helpful advice, we can create custom-made oral appliances that relieve the pain. Many patients even see chronic headaches and earaches resolve themselves with this TMJ therapy.
I snore all the time.
Now you really might be wondering why you should see the dentist for snoring! A dentist trained in sleep apnea therapy, though, could help you stop snoring and sleep well. Dr. Workman has received advanced training in this area. He can have you come in, ask questions about your medical history and sleep habits, do an examination, and arrange for a custom sleep appliance if you need one. It’s a great alternative to CPAP, and it can reduce the dangerous side effects associated with this sleep disorder. (Your bed partner or spouse will thank you, too!)
So, when do you need to see a dentist? At John C. Workman, DDS Dental Artistry, the answer is whenever you’re ready to improve your smile’s appearance, your oral health, and even your overall health! There is so much more we can do for you, too. To find out, call 630-448-8418 or fill out our online form to reach our Glen Ellyn, IL dentist office.